A furniture store has closed until further notice following a fire sparked by a suspected electrical fault.
The Against the Grain warehouse on Hoole Road, Hoole, was involved in a blaze reported to the emergency services just after 5pm on Sunday (June 19).
Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service attended the scene where firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel and a covering jet to fight the fire with powerful fan employed to clear the smoke. Hoole bridge was closed during the firefighting operation.
And today (Monday, June 20) the service reported: “Following an investigation, this fire is thought to have been an electrical fire.”
Notices have been erected at the furniture store stating that the unit will be closed ‘until further notice’. The windows are slightly blackened and the smell of smoke hangs in the air.
There is evidence of fire damaged items at the rear. The Chronicle understands the owner was today due to return from abroad and was unavailable for comment.
Also affected is the We Love Yoga Chester studio but owner Barry McDonald hopes the business will be back up and running on Friday after water from the firefighting operation has been pumped out.
He said: “We apologise for any inconvenience but it’s not our fault. We are keeping in touch with our customers via email and social media. We’ve also had loads of offers of help from people wanting to come down and clean up. This is not just a business we’re running, it’s a hub that means a lot to people.”
Well known local musician Russell Mabbutt, who runs an events management business in the building, was today at work but said the unit he rents had been affected by smoke and a door had been damaged.
Sadly, this is not the first time commercial premises in this part of Hoole have been hit by fire. Twenty years ago Pickfords’ furniture warehouse in Lightfoot Street was razed to the ground following a blaze on October 25, 1996. And on December 2, 2010, flames ripped through Chester Enterprise Centre, off Hoole Bridge in Hoole, reducing it to a blackened shell and destroying 50 businesses.