Technavio has announced the top five leading vendors in their recent global micro programmable logic controller (PLC) report. The report also presents the vendor landscape and a corresponding detailed analysis of the top five vendors operating in the market.
Technavio announces top five vendors in the global micro PLC market from 2016 to 2020.
Competitive vendor landscape
The global micro PLC market is highly fragmented with the presence of several established vendors. The primary success factors in micro PLC market include availability of a range of products equipped with appropriate external expansion units and software programs to address the unique market demand; functional reliability of the products; competitive prices; high standard of service and support; and an extensive distribution infrastructure. The direct customers of the vendors are mainly distributors bound by distribution agreements.
According to Bharath Kanniappan, a lead analyst at Technavio for automation research, “Vendors are providing integrated and complete solutions across end-user industries that are looking for solutions which will reduce the engineering and other related expenses.”
The market consists of three types of vendors:
- Tier 1 manufacturers in the automation industry are Siemens, Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley), Schneider Electric, Mitsubishi Electric, Omron, ABB, and GE. These companies provide a one-stop solution to end-users and their distribution network includes direct sales through manufacturers and system integrators.
- Tier 2 manufacturers include Yokogawa, Bosch Rexroth, Toshiba International, B&R Industrial Automation, Phillips Components, and Festo. They provide products specifically for end-user requirements, and companies depend on a well-established network of distributors to sell their products.
- Tier 3 manufacturers are small organizations that have limited geographical presence and deal in micro PLCs designed for special niche applications. Some of the companies include Kim Controls, Horner Electric, and SEE Automation & Engineers.
Top five micro programmable logic controller market vendors
Rockwell Automation provides industrial automation and control, power, and information solutions. The company serves diverse industries, including food and beverage, transportation, oil and gas, metals, mining, and life sciences. The company markets products through independent distributors and direct sales force in the US, Canada, EMEA, APAC, and Central and South America.
Rockwell Automation offers control platforms that perform multiple control and monitoring applications such as continuous, batch, and discrete process; drives and motion control; and machine safety control.
Schneider Electric offers a range of products, including boxes, cabling and interfaces, building management systems, bus, networks and communication, fuse switches, human-machine interface, and motion and drives. The company offers PLCs for industrial and commercial machines. The models used in industrial applications are Modicon M221, Modicon M238, Modicon M241, Modicon TSX Micro and Modicon LMC058, which are designed for high-performance compact machines that incorporate position and speed control functions. The commercial machine PLCs include Modicon M168, Modicon M171, Twido Programmable Controller, and Zelio Logic, which are used in air and water cooled chillers, heat pumps, rooftop units, air handling units, precision air conditioners, and compressor racks.
Siemens offers a wide range of products and solutions to various industrial companies mainly process and manufacturing industries. The company provides automation technologies, industrial controls, and industry software that help customers to optimize the complete product development and production processes. The company offers SIMATIC range of controllers. It provides four varieties of SIMATIC PLCs, namely basic, advanced, distributed, and software controllers.
- Basic controllers S7-1200 is used for simple and standalone applications
- Advanced controllers S7-1500 is used for medium and complex applications
- Distributed controllers ET 200SP is used in decentralized applications
- Software controller S7-1500 is used for PC-based applications
Mitsubishi Electric provides electrical and electronic products and systems. Its products are used in energy and electric systems, industrial automation, information and communication systems, electronic devices, and home appliances. The company offers MELSEC series of PLCs. Various models include MELSEC iQ-R Series, MELSEC iQ-F Series, MELSEC-Q Series, MELSEC-L Series, MELSEC-F Series, and MELSEC-QS/WS Series.
The company also provides engineering software for PLCs. It includes software products such as iQ Works, GX Works2, PX Developer, MX Component, and MX Sheet.
OMRON offers automation components, equipment, and systems with advanced computer, communications, and control technologies. The company has key business divisions such as industrial business group, social system business group, healthcare, products, open system, and creative service business.
Industrial business group: Under this division, OMRON offers factory automation system. PLC falls under the segment of industrial automation. The PLC application portfolio range from small scale equipment controls to production lines controllers. The controller series include CJ1, CS1, CP1, CJ2, and NSJ.