Two traders have been fined £2,000 as their ‘shoddy’ electrical work could have ‘put lives at risk’.
Kevin John Wakefield was hired to build an extension and install electrics at a house in Dunns Bank, Quarry Bank in 2016 – but when he finished the job, the householder was plagued with problems and when an extension lead caught fire, the power failed to trip out.
After complaints from the home owner, 55-year-old Wakefield, trading as Beta Home Improvements, asked his former brother-in-law to check the electrical work and issue the necessary Electrical Installation Certificate.
Paul Lloyd, 48, trading as P Lloyd Electrical, issued a certificate on August 14, 2017, which displayed the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) logo – even though he was not, and never had been, registered with the organisation.
As problems persisted, the frustrated householder arranged for another electrician to test the electrical installation.
A host of issues were uncovered and the electrician had to disconnect one circuit as it was considered dangerous.
The findings led to concerns about the validity of the certificate issued by Lloyd and the case was referred to Dudley Council’s trading standards team for investigation.
Wakefield and Lloyd both pleaded guilty to offences involving a banned practice, misleading actions and professional diligence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, when they appeared at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court on April 11.
Magistrates said it was “an appalling case” that “could have put people’s lives at risk” and fined the pair £2,000.
Wakefield, of Beeches Close, Kingswinford , was also ordered to pay £1,144 costs, £819 compensation and a victim surcharge of £170, while Lloyd, of Gospel Ash Road, Bobbington, must pay £1,144 costs, £569 compensation and a victim surcharge of £170.
After the hearing, Martin Samuels, Dudley Council’s strategic director for people, said: “ This result should be seen as a warning to any trader tempted to use logos or quality marks that they have no right to use – a practice specifically banned by law.
“In this case, shoddy electrical work could have put the residents’ safety at risk and it is right that these traders have been brought to task for shirking their responsibilities.”