NICEIC has launched an online course to help contractors understand their responsibilities around CDM requirements. Whilst the course is aimed at electrical contractors, it will also provide other trades, such as gas engineers, an overview of their legal requirements
Previously, CDM (Construction, Design and Management) requirements were more relevant to larger commercial or industrial projects.
However, since April 2015, CDM requirements now apply to ALL domestic projects which include alterations, repairs and maintenance.
The course is aimed at equipping an individual (such as a sole trader) with an understanding of their role within a domestic project and the relationship which needs to be established with the main contractor. The course covers:
- Brief overview of what the CDM regulations relate to
- The change and its implication on domestic properties
- The relationship between client, main contractor and sub-contractor (electrician)
- The requirements for the production of a safety file
- What the electrical contractor may be required to provide for inclusion into the safety file
Alan Charlton, Head of Training at NICEIC, commented: “When the CDM Regulations were introduced in 1994, 75% of deaths were on major construction sites.
“The introduction of CDM helped reduce that number dramatically and in 2014 75% of construction related deaths were actually on small domestic sites.
“Therefore CDM has now been amended to incorporate domestic work and it is vital contractors are aware of their responsibilities.”
The course will also look at documents needed for the safety file including:
- Risk assessment – guidance on how to complete a risk assessment
- Method statement – guidance on how to complete a method statement
- Materials file – guidance on what material information needs to be included in the safety file
- Guidance on creating a ‘competence file’ for Electrical contractor’s staff
The course takes around three hours to complete but with online learning registrants can spread out that learning at times to suit them. The course costs £40 +VAT and can be booked at niceic.direct.com or by calling 0843 596 2454.
– See more at: http://www.mylocalelectrician.co.uk/news/niceic-launches-online-cdm-course#sthash.xORKZr5C.dpuf